Sunday, October 1, 2017

Getting To Biblically Know the Word "Steadfast"

I was pondering the word "steadfast" as I was reading the Bible (specifically Psalm 107) the other day and I had an idea. My word of the year is in so many places in Scripture, and if God is trying to help me get to know His steadfast love, then why don't I take a hard look at each of the places where this word is mentioned? I accepted that challenge and am starting with the first time it's mentioned (at least where I've found so far) in the Bible. I will try to do this on a fairly regular basis, dependent on my schedule and how long it takes me to process these passages. 
"Then Abram believed in (affirmed, trusted in, relied on, remained steadfast to) the Lord; and He counted (credited) it to him as righteousness (doing right in regard to God and man)." ~ Genesis 15:6 (AMP)

In this passage, God and Abram are having a conversation in which God makes a covenant with Abram. The covenant that many of us have heard about through the years. One that foretold of the Israelite nation through Abram's lineage, even though Abram had no descendants.  

"He took him outside and said, “Look up at the sky and count the stars—if indeed you can count them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” ~ Genesis 15:5 (NIV)
There is no reason Abram "should" have believed that he would have anyone in his bloodline in which to leave behind an inheritance. God had been promising this large inheritance from the time Abram's father, Terah, died in Haran. 
"The Lord said to Abram, “Leave your country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land I will show you. 

I will make you a great nation,

    and I will bless you.
I will make you famous,
    and you will be a blessing to others.

I will bless those who bless you,

    and I will place a curse on those who harm you.
And all the people on earth
    will be blessed through you.”
So Abram left Haran as the Lord had told him, and Lot went with him. At this time Abram was 75 years old." ~ Genesis 12:1-4 (NCV)
Then again after they had arrived in Canaan.
"After Lot left, the Lord said to Abram, “Look all around you—to the north and south and east and west. All this land that you see I will give to you and your descendants forever. I will make your descendants as many as the dust of the earth. If anyone could count the dust on the earth, he could count your people. Get up! Walk through all this land because I am now giving it to you.” ~ Genesis 13:14-17 (NCV)

Have you ever felt like God made you a promise? Or told you something that you have waited for either in anticipation or in dread? Then you waited and waited and began to give up hope? Or felt that you "must have heard Him wrong"? Boy howdy. Can I relate to that? God and I have had so many conversations through the years that I "thought" I heard correctly, yet never seemed to come true. At times even, they appear to be less and less possible as time moves on. In these chapters, we see that Abram never even starts to question God's word until chapter 15. After Abram's nephew, Lot had gotten himself into some trouble and Abram had to rescue him. 
"After these things happened, the Lord spoke his word to Abram in a vision: “Abram, don’t be afraid. I will defend you, and I will give you a great reward.” But Abram said, “Lord God, what can you give me? I have no son, so my slave Eliezer from Damascus will get everything I own after I die.” Abram said, “Look, you have given me no son, so a slave born in my house will inherit everything I have.” Then the Lord spoke his word to Abram: “He will not be the one to inherit what you have. You will have a son of your own who will inherit what you have.” Then God led Abram outside and said, “Look at the sky. There are so many stars you cannot count them. Your descendants also will be too many to count.” Abram believed the Lord. And the Lord accepted Abram’s faith, and that faith made him right with God." ~ Genesis 15:1-6 (NCV)
 Abram remained so steadfast to God, that he is mentioned in the "Hall of Faith" in Hebrews 11. 
"It was by faith Abraham obeyed God’s call to go to another place God promised to give him. He left his own country, not knowing where he was to go. It was by faith that he lived like a foreigner in the country God promised to give him. He lived in tents with Isaac and Jacob, who had received that same promise from God. Abraham was waiting for the city that has real foundations—the city planned and built by God.
He was too old to have children, and Sarah could not have children. It was by faith that Abraham was made able to become a father, because he trusted God to do what he had promised. This man was so old he was almost dead, but from him came as many descendants as there are stars in the sky. Like the sand on the seashore, they could not be counted." ~ Hebrews 11:8-12 (NCV)
 Apparently this definition of steadfast is related to having faith, even standing firm in our faith when things look like they could be lost. When finances are tight, seemingly because I did what I felt I was told to do in expanding my practice, donating funds to or for someone or something. When family members appear to be walking further away from God after I feel God has promised me that they will return, that they have a big job in store for them. When things feel so crazy confusing as far as my eyes can see. God has focused me on being steadfast. Believe, affirm, rely on, trust in, and remain steadfast to my Lord. To hold fast to what God has told me, even when all hope seems lost. To keep moving forward, trusting that God will carry me and direct me step by step, if I fully depend on only Him.






all contents (c) 2017 Laura Inglis

No comments:

Post a Comment