Sunday, October 28, 2012

Judgement or Compassion?

I am a believer and follower of Christ Jesus. He is my Lord and my Savior. I believe that God the Father and Creator of the universe sent His Son, Jesus, to die for our sins. Christ lived His life as an example for us, was sacrificed as the Ultimate Redeemer, resurrected and returned to sit at God's right hand. After Christ's return to heaven, He sent the Holy Spirit to us as a Counselor. 

Why did God create a world that He, in His all knowing, perfect self, would let Him down and be the sinful souls that we are? I am unable to answer that. What I do know is that He loves us beyond all understanding. The fact that, throughout history, as recorded in Scripture, God has always displayed His amazing love for us, given us more chances than any of us could have ever dreamed, and gifted us with mercy and compassion that we can never quite grasp. Outside of Jesus, no one in history has ever lived a sin-free life. Our lives are so sinful that the only way we are able to become pure enough to even consider approaching heaven's throne is that God (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) was so incredibly compassionate to make the ultimate, most awesome sacrifice. Yet, we all still continue to sin. We all still mess up. We still 100% depend on God's grace and mercy to even live day by day.

I was raised in a judgemental environment. I was taught that we should judge good and evil as a way to assure I was living a life worthy of being considered a Christian. I guess you could say I was raised in a "works" and "earn your way to heaven" mindset. Through the years, I found myself being judgemental. Doing my own version of separating the sheep from the goats. I was never good enough, while at the same time, as long as I did the right things and made the right decisions, I might be able to squeeze my way in. As I became an adult and my relationship with God developed, I began to realize that all the best behavior possible would not allow my entrance into heaven. It is through God's grace and His grace alone. I also realized that not everyone believes the same as I do. Not everyone behaves the same as I do. I also learned that....guess what? I don't have all of the right answers.

I never thought I would make many decisions that I made. I surely would not have been divorced. I would surely never be accused of being an immoral person because I would not live my life in such a way. What I had not taken into account is that others may not know what goes on behind closed doors. Everyone, including myself, does not always have all of the answers. I don't always know the message and direction given by God to other people. What I DO know is that I am instructed not to judge, but to LOVE and FORGIVE. If I feel called to judge, I should judge the same way that I want God to judge me. God alone is judge. God's example over and over again is that HE will deal with things that need to be dealt with.

In the past several years, I have both experienced and witnessed judgement, gossip, and slander. Unfortunately the primary aggressors have been other people who declare themselves as believers. People who study the same Scripture and follow the same God whom I do. I have to say that "friendly fire" hurts unlike any other hurt. More recently someone I love very dearly has been on a journey that has involved numerous injuries sustained by "friendly fire." Words like "you are living in sin."  "I love you, but I can't support you in this." People who she loved dearly and cherished have placed her in a position they denied they would ever do. Like myself, she trusted these people who "sling the mud." Prayed for illnesses, stood by them during trials, cooked for them, opened our homes for them. These people have proceeded to talk to other people, gossiping, slandering publicly. I am sure that this behavior both causes tears to God's eyes and goes against the behavior He instructed for His children. Are we to judge? Are we to have compassion and love?  What happens to the children of the people we are judging? What example are we showing to others who look to Christ followers as examples of God's love? Do we know the entire story? Do we know the communication between others and God? Do we know what He is instructing the other person to do? We are to come beside, nurture, love, provide loving warnings if necessary, and hold tenderly in our arms.

How do you intend to live your life? For myself, I intend to follow God's leading by His words and His example. LOVE and FORGIVENESS. COMPASSION and MERCY. 

1 comment:

  1. Good questions. Good, probing questions, my friend.

    I'm praying that the Lord will draw others to read this. He knows who needs to hear what you have to say, and he knows your heart as you write. Keep writing...

    ReplyDelete